Translate

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Good memories of a great man....

When I was about 6 or 7 years old (back in the 80s) I met a big, happy, vivacious man in a black mink coat and a black fedora hat. He had a huge smile and a distinguished gray and black beard. He was loud and had a laugh that rocked the house. He was a long time friend of my grandfather.  He happened to be coming to visit my grandfather to meet the rest of his long time friends family. At the time I didn't understand the excitment brewing in the house as I colored in my coloring book.  I remember being miffed my mom made me dress up just to play. My grandfather owned and operated a barber shop in Detroit and cut hair and styled hair for many of the stars from Motown.
However, he formed a special bond with The Four Tops, especially Levi Stubbs.
Back when Detroit was great these famous figures lived right around the corner from each other. 
When he met me he plopped me on his knee and I remember my mom snapping pics. Levi insisted I call him "Uncle Levi". I remember on my 12th birthday my mother woke me up at like 1:00am very excited.
It was "Uncle Levi" calling me after a Vegas show and sang me happy birthday. 
At the time I knew he was famous, however it took a few years for it to sink in just how influential he was, and how his voice was unique and identifiable. 

Enjoy my absolute favorite song!
Still Waters (Live)
and Still Waters (Extended)
Enjoy the legends!







No comments:

Post a Comment